Saturday, October 4, 2008

Disturbing things I have seen

Here are a few things I have bore witness to since I have been here. These are bizarre by Jordanian standards, so therefore they are probably exponentially more bizarre for everyone in America.

- When staying in a legit Bedouin camp (4 tents in the middle of the desert an hour away from any town), a rogue camel decided to invade the camp in the middle of the night and tried to enter some fellow campers tent. The 60-year-old Bedouin camp owner then chased the camel into the desert in the dark, beating the piss out of it and kicking it in the butt.

- Seeing a grown man board a public bus holding a hacksaw.

- A group of 8-10 year olds yelling "MARAJUANA!" at a group of us walking down the street, then running away laughing hysterically.

- Seeing this:


Seriously.

-A gypsy camp less than a block away from my apartment. When I asked a neighbor about them, she said "Oh yes, if you go and talk to them, they will try to eat you."

-A perfect example of American cultural imperialism:


Wait for it...


Of course...

- Hearing Avril Lavigne over the sound system while lifting in the nicest health club in Amman (For those who remember parties at Studio 59 years ago, they were "He Wasn't" and "Things I'll Never Say"). Also: "Same Girl" by R. Kelly & Usher played today at a coffee shop I was at, and I almost exploded.


-This was in a shop window on Rainbow Street:


Brett Favre even haunts me and my Bears overseas.

-A bus driver with one eye.

-No fire hydrants ANYWHERE.

-This guy:


Workin' Hard. Or a possible ambulance.

-And this creepshow:


Hide your children!


No comments: